Using public transport is a convenient and affordable way to travel around Singapore. Singapore’s public transport system consists of 12 metro (MRT, LRT) routes and many public bus routes. If you’re visiting the “Garden city”, there are few types of Singapore public transport tickets to choose from.
As a tourist, you can choose one of three types of Singapore transport tickets:
- Standard Ticket - for single trip
- EZ-link card - for multiple trips
- Singapore Tourist Pass - for unlimited travel
Which ticket type is the best for you? It all depends on your travel plan and your personal needs as all these Singapore transport ticket types have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Singapore Standard Ticket is valid for a single trip on metro (MRT and LRT trains) only. Standard Ticket for a single trip can be purchased from the General Ticketing Machines (GTM). Only cash can be used for purchasing Standard Ticket on GTM.
The price of Standard Ticket Singapore depends on the distance and type of service.
Current cash fares for basic services are as follows:
- single trip 0.0–3.2 km long distance – 1.40 SGD
- single trip 3.3–6.2 km long distance – 1.60 SGD
- single trip 6.3–8.2 km long distance – 1.80 SGD
- single trip 8.3 – 11.2 km long distance – 2.00 SGD
- single trip 11.3–15.2 km long distance – 2.20 SGD
- single trip 15.3–19.2 km long distance – 2.30 SGD
- single trip 19.3–23.2 km long distance – 2.40 SGD
- single trip over 23.2 km long distance – 2.50 SGD
Current cash fares for express and fast forward services are as follows:
- single trip 0.0–8.2 km long distance – 2.20 SGD
- single trip 8.3–11.2 km long distance – 2.35 SGD
- single trip 11.3–15.2 km long distance – 2.50 SGD
- single trip 15.3–19.2 km long distance – 2.65 SGD
- single trip 19.3–23.2 km long distance – 2.80 SGD
- single trip over 23.2 km long distance – 3.00 SGD
There is a deposit of 0.10 SGD which is not refunded by cash but deducting the travel fare on the 3rd trip when using the same card.
A ticket for a single trip on a public bus in Singapore can be bought on board. However, you need to pay the exact amount of the ticket fare as the change won’t be given.
Singapore EZ-Link Sard can be used for multiple trips on metro (MRT and LRT trains) and public buses. The cost of EZ-Link card is 12 SGD per card. 5 SGD is a non-refundable cost of the card, which is valid for 5 years, and 7 SGD can be used for traveling. Only cash can be used for purchasing EZ-Link card but you can top-up it by credit card as well.
You can also book Singapore public transport card online here: Singapore Travel Card.
The price of the trip with Singapore EZ-Link card depends on the distance and type of service.
Current card fares for basic services are as follows:
- 0.0–3.2 km long distance trip – 0.77 SGD
- 3.3–6.2 km long distance trip – 0.87-1.07 SGD
- 6.3–8.2 km long distance trip – 1.16-1.23 SGD
- 8.3–11.2 km long distance trip – 1.29-1.37 SGD
- 11.3–15.2 km long distance trip – 1.41-1.53 SGD
- 15.3–19.2 km long distance trip – 1.57-1.69 SGD
- 19.3–23.2 km long distance trip – 1.72-1.81 SGD
- over 23.2 km long distance trip – 1.83-2.02 SGD
Current card fares for express and fast forward services are as follows:
- 0.0–8.2 km long distance trip – 1.37-1.83 SGD
- 8.3 – 11.2 km long distance trip – 1.89-1.97 SGD
- 11.3 – 15.2 km long distance trip – 2.01-2.13 SGD
- 15.3 – 19.2 km long distance trip – 2.17-2.29 SGD
- 19.3 – 23.2 km long distance trip – 2.32-2.41 SGD
- over 23.2 km long distance trip – 2.43-2.62 SGD
As you can see, Singapore public transport fares are significantly lower when using EZ-Link card. You can see the comparison of cash and card fares on the boards at Singapore metro stations and bus stops.
Ensure to top-up your EZ-link card if the stored value is below 3 SGD as the gate will reject an entry.
The minimum top-up value for Singapore EZ-Link card is 10 SGD. The value can be added by cash (2, 5, 10, 50 SGD notes) or by credit card (10 to 100 SGD).
Singapore Tourist Pass
The Singapore Tourist Pass is a special card that offers unlimited travel on Singapore public transport (basic public bus, MRT and LRT train services) that is valid for the duration of one, two or three days.
1-day Singapore Tourist Pass is valid from the first usage of the card till midnight. Usage of 2-day or 3-day Singapore Tourist Pass must be on consecutive days. The duration and validity of the pass is based on the operating hours of the public transport system.
Unlimited travel is only applicable for public bus and train services. The pass excludes rides on premium services such as Sentosa Express, RWS8, Fast Forward, Night Rider and Nite Owl buses.
Singapore Tourist Pass prices are as follows:
- 1-day pass – 10 SGD
- 2-day pass – 16 SGD
- 3-day pass – 20 SGD
The prices mentioned above do not include 10 SGD deposit. The deposit is fully refundable when the card is returned to any of TransitLink Ticket offices or SMRT Passenger Service Centres at specific MRT stations, including Changi Airport.
What is the best way to travel in Singapore?
Standard Ticket is the best choice if you:
- are going to use public transport less than 7 times during your stay in Singapore, as it will be cheaper than buying any of the cards;
- don’t mind wasting time in queues at ticket machines;
- normally have plenty of coins in your pocket as you will need some for buying a ticket on the bus (no change is given there).
EZ-Link card is the best choice if you:
- are going to use public transport more than 7 times during your stay in Singapore, as the price difference between card and cash fares will cover the price of the card;
- will be staying in Singapore for more than 3 days;
- planning to come back to Singapore in 5 years and use the card again.
Singapore Tourist Pass is the best choice if you:
- will be staying in Singapore for 3 days or less;
- don’t have plans to come back to Singapore in 5 years;
- are going to use public transport very often – at least 7 times/1-day, 12 times/2-days, 17 times/3-days;
- don’t mind leaving 10 SGD as a deposit and getting a refund only before leaving Singapore (not much can be bought for such an amount at Changi Airport though).
Get your Singapore SIM card at the airport or in the city for a discounted price: [SALE] 4G SIM Card (SG Pick Up) for Singapore.
If you’re going to travel from Singapore Changi Airport to the city center by metro (MRT), you will have to get some cash right at the airport as the Standard Ticket for single trip or EZ-Link card for multiple trips can be purchased by cash only. In such a case, you will have to use ATM or to find a currency exchange booth at the airport. More information about currency exchange at the airport can be found here: Currency Exchange at Singapore Changi International Airport (SIN).