If you want to take a break from the amazing street food scene of Bangkok, then this is the place to eat great Thai food for dinner.
The Local is located in the Sukhumvit area at Soi 23. The restaurant is in a very attractive traditional Thai house.
As soon as we walked in through the door, we saw an amazing decoration, experienced a warm atmosphere and a really pleasant aroma. You shouldn’t be surprised to see a majority of foreign customers here.
They serve a traditional Thai food. If you are a Thai food newbie, the staff here is really helpful and so efficient. They often come to tables to make sure that everyone is enjoying the food.
All food was prepared with local top-quality ingredients and almost all the dishes we had are enjoyable and can be recommended, as follows:
- The appetizer set with a combination of 5 bite size dishes - Khao soy, Thai herb wrapped in lotus leaves, fish cake, deep fried chicken wrapped in Pandan leaves & rice crackers is a must to start with (250THB)
- Creamy yellow curry with soft shell crab was the best (520THB)
- Deep Fried Fish with Tamarind Sauce had the perfect balance of sour and sweet flavors. The fish was fresh (580THB)
- Pomelo Salad with Roasted Coconut & Shrimps was beautifully presented and tasty (250THB)
- Tom Yum Goong - Thai hot & sour soup with prawns was very refreshing & tasty (280THB)
- Som Tam Set - Thai popular salad served with grilled marinated pork loin and sticky rice was good (280THB)
- Gang Run Juan - Pork with Thai Herbs& Shrimp Paste - a dish that used to be cooked for the Royal family and is hard to find elsewhere (240THB)
- Phak Mieng - Stir-fried Southern local vegetables with eggs was decent (180THB)
For the beverage, you can try Kaffir Lime Ice Tea for something different (110THB). Just make sure to keep some space for desserts like Mango sticky rice and ice creams.
The only drawback of the place is that the price tends to be rather high if compared to what you can find on the street as a glass of beer here is 150 THB. And you should be noted that the price is not including the 10% service charge and 7% taxes.
All in all, this restaurant is an easy pick if you want a comfortable place to sit and eat good quality Thai food, the prices aren't cheap though. The most important thing it’s a good place for having a great time, as we did.