Rad Na is another popular street food dish in Thailand. Rad Na Sen-Mhee is thin rice noodles and vegetables topped with thick gravy. The meat can be pork, chicken or seafood. You can put some additional sugar, fish sauce, sliced chilies in white vinegar and ground dried chilies on the side when eating. This is our favorite all time noodle dish and the recipe is down below.
Learn Cooking Thai Food with us!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Sen Mhee (Thin and Round Rice Noodles) - more about different types of Thai noodle read here: Thai Street Food Guide: How to Order Noodle in Thailand
2 tablespoons dark sweet soy sauce
Click here to see another recipe of Rad Na cooked with different type of noodle - Sen Yai : Thai Style Noodles in Gravy (Rad Na Sen-Yai) : ราดหน้าเส้นใหญ่
Meat of your choice: chicken, pork, beef, shrimps or mixed seafood (we used thinly sliced chicken)
1 tablespoon tapioca starch (or corn starch) – dissolve in 2 tablespoons of water
1/2 tablespoon Fish Sauce
2/3 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon soy bean paste
1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
3 cups water
Chinese Kale, cut 1 inch long
Baby corns, cut in small pieces
Carrot, cut in small pieces
You may add any kind of vegetables you like such as broccoli or mushrooms, etc.
1. Heat the pan, mix noodles with the black soy sauce and add into the pan. Toss the noodles quickly to get some browning on the noodles. Don’t stir but gently flip noodles over and place in bowls. Set aside.
2. Boil the water, then add meat and season it with fish sauce, sugar, and oyster sauce. You can adjust seasonings to your tastes.
3. Add vegetables and soy bean paste, then simmer for few minutes.
4. While waiting for the sauce to boil, dissolve corn starch in water and stir until it’s smooth.
5. Pour the corn starch sauce slowly into the pot while stirring constantly. If you want the sauce to be thicker, add more starch mixture.
6. Remove from the heat, then pour the sauce over noodles (and fried egg), and serve.
In Thailand, Rad Na is served with common condiments: sugar, fish sauce, dry chili pepper, and vinegar for seasoning the dish the way you like.